Aaron M Baessler, M.D.
Fellowship Trained Orthopedic Surgeon
- Sports Medicine Fellowship from Campbell Clinic Orthopaedics, Memphis, TN.
- Residency in Orthopedic Surgery from the Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN.
- Graduated Medical School from Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University, Chicago, IL.
Dr. Baessler graduated from the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University. He then went on to pursue his residency in othopaedic surgery from the Indiana University School of Medicine and did a sports medicine fellowship from Campbell Clinic Orthopaedics. He specializes in the treatment of a wide range of injuries and conditions affecting the musculoskeletal system and is committed to getting his patients back to doing what they enjoy at the earliest.
- 2011 – 2015 The Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, North Chicago, IL Doctor of Medicine
- 2007 - 2011 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL Bachelor of Science in Molecular and Cellular Biology
- 2020 - 2021 University of Tennessee - Campbell Clinic, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Sports Medicine Fellowship
- 2015 - 2020 Indiana University School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
- 2021 - Present Indiana Medical License Active
- 2020 - 2021 Tennessee Medical License Inactive
- 2020 - 2021 Mississippi Medical License Inactive
- 2015 - 2020 Indiana Postgraduate Training Permit Inactive
- 2021 - Present American Shoulder and Elbow Society
- 2019 - Present Arthroscopy Association of North America
- 2015 - Present American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 2014 - Present Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- 2020 Top Trauma Poster - AOA Annual Leadership Meeting
- 2019 Best Resident Research Paper Award
- 2014 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society inductee
- 2011 Francis and Harlie Clark Research Excellence Award in Microbiology
- 2010 James R. Beck Research Award in Microbiology
- 2007 Jeffrey Carlson Memorial Scholarship
- Overlapping Surgery for Ankle Fractures: Is It Safe? Baessler A, Mullis B, Loder R, Corn K, Mavros C. To determine whether the practice of overlapping surgery influenced patient safety after open reduction internal fixation (ORIF) for ankle fractures.
Ultrasound diagnosis of medial clavicular epiphysis avulsion fracture in a neonate.
Baessler AM, Wessel RP, Caltoum CB, Wanner MR.
Clavicle fractures are the most common bony injury that occurs during the delivery process. We present a case of medial clavicular physeal fracture mimicking sternoclavicular dislocation diagnosed by ultrasound (US) in a neonate. The infant presented to our clinic at 12 days old with improving left upper extremity pseudoparalysis and outside radiographs interpreted as left sternoclavicular dislocation.
Short-Term Clinical Outcomes and Comparison of Ultrasound Versus Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Superior Capsular Reconstruction.
Badman BL, Baessler AM, Moor M.
To evaluate the short-term outcomes of 10 patients with irreparable massive rotator cuff tears treated with arthroscopic superior capsular reconstruction (SCR) using dermal allograft.
- Single-Shot Liposomal Bupivacaine Reduces Postoperative Narcotic Use Following Outpatient Rotator Cuff Repair: A Prospective, Double-Blinded, Randomized Controlled Trial. Baessler AM, Moor M, Conrad DJ, Creighton J, Badman BL. Liposomal bupivacaine (LB) theoretically is longer-acting compared with conventional bupivacaine. The purpose of this study was to compare conventional bupivacaine combined with dexamethasone (control group), LB combined with conventional bupivacaine (LB group), and LB combined with dexamethasone and conventional bupivacaine (LBD group) in a perineural interscalene nerve block during ambulatory arthroscopic rotator cuff repair to determine if LB decreased postoperative narcotic consumption and pain.
- Preoperative opioid usage predicts markedly inferior outcomes two years after reverse total shoulder arthroplasty. Baessler A, Smith PJ, Brolin TJ, Neel RT, Sen S, Zhu R, Bernholt D, Azar FM, Throckmorton TW. Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty (RTSA) has proven to be a highly effective treatment for rotator cuff deficient conditions and other end-stage shoulder pathologies. With value-based care emerging, identifying predictive factors of outcomes are of great interest.
- Tension Hydrothorax After Attempted Arthroscopic Fixation of Greater Tuberosity Fracture in a Trauma Patient: A Case Report. Diltz ZR, Baessler AM, Brolin TJ. We report the case of a 27-year-old man who presented after a 30-foot fall with a hemopneumothorax, multiple rib fractures, and left shoulder dislocation with greater tuberosity fracture. During attempted arthroscopic repair, the patient developed pulseless electrical activity arrest as the result of intraoperative tension hydrothorax.
Development and validation of a predictive model for outcomes in shoulder arthroplasty: a multicenter analysis of nearly 2000 patients.
Baessler AM, Brolin TJ, Azar FM, Sen S, Chang M, Zmistowski BM, Routman HD, Namdari S, Gulotta LV, Throckmorton TW.
Guiding expectations following shoulder arthroplasty is important in improving patient satisfaction. The purpose of this study was to develop a predictive model to calculate 2-year American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons (ASES) scores in shoulder arthroplasty patients from a comprehensive set of preoperative patient factors and types of arthroplasty performed.
- Baessler AM, Brolin TJ, Azar FM, Sen S, Routman HD, Namdari S, Gulotta LV, Throckmorton TW. Development and Validation of a Predictive Model for Outcomes in Shoulder Arthroplasty: A Multicenter Analysis of over 2000 Patients. AAOS Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA. August 31 - September 3, 2021. [Poster presentation].
- Baessler AM, Conrad D, Creighton J, Moor M, Badman B. Single-shot liposomal bupivacaine reduces post-operative narcotic use following outpatient rotator cuff surgery: a prospective double-blinded randomized controlled trial. AAOS Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA. August 31 - September 3, 2021. [Poster presentation].
- Badman B, Polisetty TS, Baessler AM, Levy J. Onlay versus inlay RSA: Retrospective Comparison of Radiographic and Clinical Outcomes. Eastern Orthopaedic Association 51st Annual Meeting. Naples,FL. October 28-31, 2020. [Poster presentation]
- Baessler AM, Conrad D, Creighton J, Moor M, Badman B. Single-shot liposomal bupivacaine reduces post-operative narcotic use following outpatient rotator cuff surgery: a prospective double-blinded randomized controlled trial. American Shoulder and Elbow Society Virtual Annual Meeting. October 2-3, 2020. [Video presentation].
- Polisetty TS, Baessler AM, Levy J, Badman B. Onlay versus inlay RSA: Retrospective Comparison of Radiographic and Clinical Outcomes. American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons Virtual Annual Meeting. October 2-3, 2020. [Poster presentation].
- Baessler AM, Mullis B, Loder R, Mavros C, Corn K. Overlapping surgery for ankle fractures: is it safe? The American Orthopaedic Association Annual Leadership Meeting. Baltimore, MD. June 9-13, 2020. [Poster presentation].
- Badman B, Baessler AM, Moor M. Short-term comparative imaging and clinical analysis of superior capsular reconstruction. American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons Annual Meeting. New York, NY. October 17, 2019. [Oral presentation].
- Badman B, Baessler A. Onlay arthroscopic suprapectoral bicep tenodesis. DJO Shoulder Summit. Chicago, IL. August 23-24, 2019.
- Baessler A, Mullis B, Loder R, Mavros C, Corn K. Overlapping surgery for ankle fractures: is it safe? 43rd Annual Orthopaedic Surgery Department Garceau-Wray Lectureship. Indianapolis, IN. June 21, 2019. [Oral presentation].
- Baessler A, Mugve N, Erck R, Carandang G, Chudik S. Osteochondral repair with synthetic plugs increases the coefficient of friction and damages the opposing cartilage countersurface. International Cartilage Repair Society International Conference. Chicago, IL. May 10, 2015. [Oral presentation].
- Khan A, Asif A, Waheed I, Bawaadam H, Nadeem R, Baessler A, Madbouly E, Nida M, Sajid H, Harvey M. Does inflammatory marker (CRP) correlate with severity of obstructive sleep apnea: a meta-analysis. SLEEP. 2013 Jun; 36(Abstract Supplement): A165. [Poster presentation].
- Harvey M, Nadeem R, Khan A, Albustani M, Baessler A, Madbouly E, Khan M, Sajid H, Navid N, Baker A. Patients with obstructive sleep apnea display increased intima media thickness suggestive of atherosclerotic processes: a meta-analysis. Am J Resp Crit Care Med. 2013 May; 187(Meeting Abstracts): A3463. [Poster presentation].
- Baessler A, Nadeem R, Harvey M, Madbouly E, Younus A, Sajid H, Naseem J, Asif A, Bawaadam H. Treatment for sleep apnea by continuous positive airway pressure improves levels of inflammatory markers: a meta-analysis. American Thoracic Society International Conference. Philadelphia, PA. May 20, 2013. [Poster presentation].
- Baessler A, Nadeem R, Harvey M, Madbouly E, Younus A, Sajid H, Naseem J, Asif A, Bawaadam H. Treatment for sleep apnea by continuous positive airway pressure improves levels of inflammatory markers: a meta-analysis. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science Research Consortium. North Chicago, IL. March 20, 2013. [Oral presentation].
- Badman B, Bowers N, Baessler A. Lesser tuberosity osteotomy in anatomic total shoulder arthroplasty. Available at https://www.vumedi.com//video/lesser-tuberosity-osteotomy-in-atsa
- Badman B, Baessler A. Arthroscopic onlay suprapectoral bicep tenodesis. Available at https://www.vumedi.com/video/arthroscopic-onlay-suprapectoral-bicep-tenodesis
- Reviewer Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery, Applied Clinical Informatics
- 2021 Memphis Redbirds Baseball Memphis, TN
- 2020-2021 Rhodes College Football Memphis, TN
- 2020 University of Memphis Football Memphis, TN
- 2020 Christian Brothers High School Football Memphis, TN
- 2017 - 2020 National Football League Scouting Combine Indianapolis, IN
- 2018 Ben Davis High School Football Indianapolis, IN
- 2014 - 2015 The Chicago Medical School Admissions Committee
- 2011 - 2013 Adolescent Substance Abuse Prevention (ASAP) Officer
- 2010 - 2011 Academic Advisor University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2007 - 2011 Theta Xi Fraternity University of Illinois At Urbana-Champaign